The Museum at Central School
Northwest Montana Historical Society
124 Second Ave. East, Kalispell, MT 59901


contact us
Museum HOME | Events | Exhibits | Gift Shop | Meeting Rooms | Links | Site Map
Our Book | Our Building | Historical Society | Genealogy


Our Building

Bringing Life to History & History to Our Lives

Central School in Kalispell

Visit the Central School Alumni Club


The Museum is housed in the historic Central School building, which first opened its doors in 1894. In nearly 100 years of serving the educational needs of the Flathead Valley, Central School had been a high school, a junior high school, a grade school, and housed classrooms for Flathead Valley Community College.

Today Central School carries on its educational tradition as a museum preserving and presenting local history.

It is a sturdy brick and stone structure, one of the few remaining examples of classic Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, with most of it's original hardwood floors, wainscoting, and tin-plate ceilings still in place. The building was boarded-up and threatened with demolition in 1991, but the City of Kalispell renovated the structure at a cost of 2.4 million dollars, and since late 1999, has leased it to the Northwest Montana Historical Society for exhibits, performances, and community meetings.
Updated: 2 Nov 2009 The Museum at Central School